Certified Diabetes Educator
For more than 30 years, the London InterCommunity Health Centre has provided health and social services to those who experience barriers to care including poverty, homelessness, language or culture, and complex and/or chronic health conditions including mental health and addictions. Today, with four busy clinics in three of London’s most under-served regions, the organization is viewed as a community leader in newcomer health, care of marginalized women, issues of health equity, client-led service development and the advancement of partnerships that improve access to vital services for people who are at the margins in our community. Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, we have maintained our operations and innovated new ways to continue to support our staff and clients through this difficult time with minimal interruption to our service delivery.
About the Position
The Diabetes Team at the London InterCommunity Health Centre seeks a Certified Diabetes Educator committed to providing high quality education and healthcare services to people living with diabetes, as well as people who are at risk of developing diabetes.
The CDE provides high quality diabetes care, prevention services, education and programs to clients of the Health Centre and the broader community. In this role, The CDE will provide individual diabetes education counselling, community outreach and health promotion / education to individuals, families and the community.
The CDE works as a member of a multi-disciplinary team supported by physicians, nurse practitioners, social workers, community development workers, and support staff.
The successful candidate will act with professionalism and courtesy toward clients, the general public and colleagues, and will demonstrate the integral qualities of excellent customer service in order to provide high quality care aligned with the values of the Health Centre.
Multiple positions available, part-time or full-time. Some evening and weekend flexibility may occasionally be required.
- Certification as a Diabetes Educator (CDE) through the Canadian Diabetes Educator Certification Board
- Minimum three (3) years of diabetes experience
- Awareness and understanding of the social determinants of health, health promotion and adult education principles
- Experience facilitating individual and group education sessions
- Ability to work with diverse communities with respect, sensitivity, creativity, innovation, cultural understanding, and non-judgement
- Registered Nurse, Dietitian, or Pharmacist
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong computer skills, including the use of MS Office Products and Electronic Medical Records (Practice Solutions Suite currently in use)
- Ability to maintain complete and accurate records in accordance with the Health Centre’s policies
Nice to Haves:
- French and other language skills are considered an asset in supporting the communities we serve
What’s in it for you:
With a strong focus on employee well-being and development, LIHC is proud to support our staff with a well-structured compensation plan:
How to Apply:
If you feel you are the right person for this role, please send a cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating the position title in the subject line of the email. Please also indicate in the body of the email where you learned of this opportunity.
Submissions will only be accepted until end of day December 17, 2021.
With consideration for the COVID-19 pandemic, interviews may be conducted in-person with appropriate physical distancing or online via Zoom to best meet Public Health Guidelines and the needs of candidates. As a healthcare employer, we strongly value the health and safety of all our staff. Our infection prevention and control strategies include the expectation that all staff have received two valid doses of a COVID-19 vaccine. Therefore, confirmation of vaccination status will be required for successful applicants.
The Health Centre is committed to hiring staff that reflect the diversity of the clients and community that we serve.
Should you require accommodation in making an application please contact our office. We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected will be contacted.
To learn more about the Health Centre visit us online at www.lihc.on.ca, follow us on Twitter @HealthCentre or like us on Facebook – London InterCommunity Health Centre.
- A competitive salary
- 100% employer-paid health and dental benefits
- Participation in the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP)
- Paid sick and emergency time to tend to self and family care
- 3+ weeks of paid vacation time
- Paid time to promote mental well-being
- Paid professional development time and funds to support your learning goals
- Numerous interdisciplinary training opportunities to promote growth in your role