Strathmere Lodge, a not-for-profit, long-term-care home is owned by the County of Middlesex. Opened in 2006, this facility sits on a five-acre site on the outskirts of Strathroy. The home provides care to 160 residents in accordance with Ontario legislation and standards established and monitored by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care.
Overview of the Position
Reporting to the Food Service Manager or Food Service Supervisor, the Cook prepares meals and snacks according to the planned menu for all diet types and textures as per production numbers and recipes. Additional details and a full job description are available at www.middlesex.ca.
This is a part-time, relief on-call position with scheduled hours averaging between 24 hour to 40 hours bi-weekly (scheduled shifts may include 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. or 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.). The successful candidate must be available to work weekdays, weekends and statutory holidays, and must be available on short notice for call in shifts.
- Follows proper food handling techniques including but not limited to: glove use, hand washing, temperature taking and recording, preventing cross contamination, etc.
- Prepares all menu items for meals ensuring quality in regards to taste, presentation and texture modification for resident safety.
- Meets the time schedule for meals and snack times.
- Cooks must be knowledgeable in diet types and texture modification in LTC.
- Monitors the quality of food supplies being delivered, and helps monitor stock levels and will advise Manager if problems arise.
- Keeps work area clean, sanitary and uncluttered.
- Follows written job routines and duties as establish by the Home.
- Follows all Policies and Procedures of the Home regarding quality assurance, fire, safety and infection control.
- Rotating stock, labelling, dating and storing food properly.
- Assists with orientation and training of new staff members.
- Food Handler’s Certificate.
- Previous cooking experience in a long term care home: 2 years.
- Chef Training or Culinary Management diploma or certificate of qualification as a Cook issued by the Director of Apprenticeship from a recognized cooks program.
- Red Seal Certification is an asset.
- Effective communication skills.
- Computer literate.
- Must be able to lift and transfer heavy, hot items and stand/walk for the majority of the shift.
- Must provide a Vulnerable Sector Police Check (dated within 6 months).
- Must provide a two-step TB skin test (dated within 1 year).