WeedMD Inc. is the publicly-traded parent company of WeedMD Rx Inc., a federally-licensed producer of cannabis products for both the medical and adult-use markets. The Company owns and operates a 158-acre state-of-the-art greenhouse, outdoor and processing facility located in Strathroy, Ontario. WeedMD also operates CX Industries Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of WeedMD Inc., from the Company’s fully-licensed 26,000 sq. ft. Aylmer, Ontario production facility which specializes in cannabis extraction and processing. With the recent acquisition of Starseed Medicinal Inc., a medical-centric licensed holder with operations in Bowmanville, Ontario, WeedMD has expanded its multi-channeled distribution strategy. Starseed’s industry-first, exclusive partnership with LiUNA, the largest construction union in Canada, along with other employers and union groups complements WeedMD’s direct sales to medical patients. The Company maintains strategic relationships across the seniors’ market and supply agreements with Shoppers Drug Mart as well as six provincial distribution agencies where its adult-use brands Color Cannabis and Saturday are sold.
The Occupational Health and Safety Manager is responsible for the development, implementation and evaluation of a comprehensive range of employee health and safety programs and services to meet the goals and legal obligations of WeedMD. These functions include, but may not be limited to, the assessment, facilitation and evaluation of injury prevention, environmental safety, occupational health and safety, employee and family wellness and the development, implementation and consultation on safety policies. The Occupational Health and Safety Manager oversees all activities of the Occupational Health and Safety department and provides advice to management and employees. This is a one year contract where there is a possibility of contract renewal or the position becoming permanent.
- Plan, develop, implement, coordinate, evaluate, and update WeedMD's occupational health and safety policies, procedures and programs
- Develop annual health and safety plans for the company based on a full review of health and safety-related needs (assessment of hazards, analysis of database, audits, changing legislation and best practices) as required by the Ministry of Labour
- Review occupational health and safety legislation, amendments and best practices to optimize occupational health and safety programs
- Provide all levels of the company with advice related to health and safety matters, legislative requirements and best practices in the field
- Assist in representing management in matters of health and safety with the government, health and safety associations and other outside agencies and organizations
- Provide management with reports on WSIB/WCB incidents and injuries, lost time injuries, health-related absenteeism and other occupational health and safety information
- Coordinate and/or provide guidance and direction to occupational health and safety personnel
- Effectively manage return to work programs, working closely with the employee, and his/her supervisor/manager to ensure the employee's safety and health, as well as ensuring that he or she receives all of the benefits he or she is entitled to
- In collaboration with Human Resources Advisors, provide advice and guidance to managers and supervisors to return employees to productive work as soon as possible following an injury
- Investigate accidents thoroughly and effectively, and then respond appropriately as required, including communicating to, training, and following up with manager/ supervisors and employees
- Ensure that work refusals are properly investigated and that any necessary corrections to the work processes are implemented and documented
- Liaise with WSIB and insurance providers on all claims, including managing appeals where appropriate
- Develop, arrange, and present safety orientation and training for all new employees, existing employees and visitors to ensure complete and effective understanding of potential risks and expected behaviours within the company
- Develop a matrix for training requirements, maintain records of all health and safety-related training and assist in the development of rollout programs
- Lead an annual health and safety program audit to ensure the effectiveness of occupational health and safety programs
- Develop and manage internal health and safety audits of the company, including risk assessments, at varying levels, and act as a trainer/advisor to internal auditors
- Coordinate inspections, investigations, and occupational health and safety activities within various departments
- Coordinate health and safety supplies by ensuring appropriate supplies are identified and purchased in a timely and cost effective manner and used appropriately
- Monitor, amend and update the organization's Health and Safety SOPs
- Support and promote occupational health, wellness and safety department initiatives
- Act as a resource to or serve as a member on the Joint Health and Safety Committee, assisting and providing information and responses on behalf of the company
- Ensure the documentation and retention of all health and safety-related records for the prescribed time limits
- Perform other related duties as required
- Post-secondary school diploma or degree in Occupational Health and Safety or related field of study
- Occupational Health and Safety Certificate, as per the Occupational Health & Safety Act/Regulations
- Minimum 5 years' experience with occupational health and safety management in a manufacturing environment
- Cannabis Industry experience considered an asset
- Ability to travel to all WeedMD sites including but not limited to Aylmer, Bowmanville, Toronto, London, and Strathroy
- Knowledge of occupational health and safety management, applicable federal, provincial and municipal regulations/legislation, Workplace Safety & Insurance Act, the Occupational Health & Safety Act and its regulations and applicable Human Rights
- Knowledge of WSIB/WCB/STD/LTD processes and procedures, including WSIB/WCB claims management and related legislation
- Experience with disability management, accident investigation, workplace inspection and job hazard analysis is preferred
- Proven ability to effectively plan and direct the work of the department and manage its staff and resolve conflict in a positive and constructive manner
- Willing to actively participate in continuous professional development throughout the course of employment
- Proven ability to maintain the confidentiality of information and records
- Service and team-oriented leader who pays specific attention to detail
- Proven ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Strong analytical, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Tact, diplomacy, flexibility, listening and persuasion skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency with database applications and administration systems, specifically Microsoft Office
If you are interested in applying for any of these positions, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that as we are hiring for different positions and different locations, we ask that you specify the desired position and location in the subject line when applying.
We wish to offer sincere thanks to all applicants, however, please note that we will only be contacting those whom we feel are best suited for these positions. Resumes will be stored in our database for a period of six months for future consideration as new opportunities become available.
Pursuant to the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code, WeedMD will accommodate all applicants with disabilities to the point of undue hardship during the recruitment and hiring process. Accommodation will be provided upon request and in accordance with the principles of dignity, individualization, and inclusion. WeedMD will work cooperatively, and in a spirit of respect, with all partners in the accommodation process.
WeedMD is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, colour, race, citizenship, ethnic origin, place of origin, creed, disability, family status, marital status (including single status), gender identity, gender expression, receipt of public assistance (in housing only), sex (including pregnancy and breastfeeding) or sexual orientation.